Friday, January 4, 2013

More Praises - Provided Silently...

Back in this blog entry, choreographer/assistant director (and all-round fabulous) Dot Routledge wrote about how "talented, eager, and focused" our cast is. I will now add my voice (such as it is today) to hers.

On Wednesday night, I was staging one of the really finicky sections of Act 2. Only four people sing in this sequence, but 17 are involved in the staging of it – entering at different times, crossing the stage in relationships with different groups of people, and being sought, confronted, prodded, or killed by other characters. It was a complex scene to stage, and it required a great deal of patience, particularly since many of those 17 people made only brief appearances onstage during the rehearsal time.

Adding to the joy of staging an already complex scene, I became the next victim of whatever infliction is being passed around right now, and I arrived at rehearsal on Wednesday with a bad cold and minimal voice. I could speak at the beginning of the evening (albeit in a low, sexy, Kathleen Turner kind of range), and I could demonstrate a couple of sung pitches, but those abilities wore off as the evening progressed.

The cast was hard-working and dedicated as always, and they stayed focused enough that I never had to work hard to be heard. By the end of rehearsals, the scenes had a shape, and the performers were experimenting with different nuances. All in all, a success!

Two days later, my voice is getting stronger again, and I'm just hoping that I haven't passed on the illness to any of the people who worked so hard on Wednesday to help me out...

No comments:

Post a Comment